In 1941 a group of people organized and formed a corporation that was named the Newark Community Center. Their efforts created a non-profit agency that promoted recreation activities for the Village of Newark and surrounding area. The Newark Village government leased the newly formed corporation the former Newark High School gymnasium and shop building. The corporate name was changed in 1984 to the Alex Eligh Community Center in honor of long time Executive Director Alexander “Alex” Eligh. The agency is still located on the original site. A renovation project updated the building in 1996.